After Endodontic Surgery
1. Avoid strenuous activity for the remainder of the day. Smoking and alcohol should be avoided for at least 3 days.
2. Avoid hot liquids and eat only soft foods for the first 48 hours. Use your own judgment after this period, but avoid hard or chewy foods until your next visit.
3. Get plenty of rest and ensure normal intake of food, especially liquids, such as fruit juices, soups, and milk. However, avoid carbonated beverages for the first 48 hours.
4. Avoid manipulation of the facial tissues as much as possible. Do not raise the lip or retract the cheeks to look at the surgical site. You may remove the sutures.
5. If sinus perforation occurred, avoid blowing your nose as this can cause further damage and delay proper healing.
6. Some oozing of the blood from the surgical site is normal during the day and evening of the surgery. Slight swelling and bruising may be experienced. This is temporary and will resolve in a few days.
7. To minimize swelling, apply an ice pack with firm pressure tot he face over the surgical site. Alternate between 20 min off for 6-8 hours.
8. Post-surgical discomfort should be minimal, but the surgical site will be tender and sore. Take analgesics as recommended. OTC Advil, Aspirin, Tylenol, etc. every 4-6 hours, unless you require the stronger prescription we may have written for you.
9. Do not brush your teeth near the operated area for 5 days after surgery. Be sure to brush the rest of your teeth. When resuming brushing, hold the brush between the thumb and forefinger to control pressure.
10. Rinse with 1 tablespoon of chlorohexidine mouth rinse 2x daily for 5 days.
11. Warm salt water rinses (1 teaspoon of salt to a cup of warm water) on the treated area may also be utilized. (4-5 times daily for 1 min).
12. The sutures that have been placed must be removed for proper healing. It is important that you return at the appointed time for suture removal.
13. Recall visits are necessary. These are short appointments that are very important to monitor the progress of healing.
Should any difficulties or questions arise, do not hesitate to call.
Normal business hours: Beaumont Office Phone Number Beaumont Office Phone Number 409-866-4600
After hours: 832-971-4528
We Are Here To Help!
Contact us with any questions or to schedule an appointment.